Sunday, January 07, 2018

Week in Review (1)


Life

I decided to see if I can resurrect this blog. I haven't blogged since August because my reading was pretty much non-existent last year. And, I know that I can talk about things other than reading, but I just never sit down and write the post. In 2016, I blogged every Sunday. I am going to see if I can do that again for 2018.

It is hard to recap so much time. In January I always think I need to get back on track with things. So, I make lists and pick up old hobbies. Then, as the year goes, I start fizzling. One big thing I did in 2016, that I slacked on last year, was my bullet journal. I think once I got out of the habit of doing it last year, it became like I was not accountable to my plans or projects. This year, even though I still have a perfectly nice journal left from last year, I started right from scratch and am determined to get back in the habit. I like to do lists and checking off when I accomplish something. I also got a new package of the pens I really like for Christmas. I am sure projects will fall to the wayside, but we will see how it goes.

I really just want to read this year. I hardly read anything last year. It was one of my worst reading years ever. My TBR didn't really grow last year, but it didn't really decrease either. I need to get back on track with that!

Currently Reading 


Audiobook


Weekly Reading

The Sandman - Volume 1: Preludes & Nocturnes ~ This was actually a reread for me. I added it to Goodreads in 2011, but I know that I read it before I started reading Fables in 2009. I hated it. I was not reading graphic novels yet, it was weird, and I never read on in the series. But, since I got more into graphic novels, I felt like this was a huge series missing from my reading. Over the holidays, the e-books of this series went on sale. So, now I have to hopefully like this series more than I did the first time I tried it. On the plus side, I enjoyed this more than I did the first time I read it and immediately started Volume 2 after finishing it. This just goes to show you can evolve as a reader. When I read this the first time, I never thought I would be the big graphic novel reader I became. This book is why I was hesitant to start Fables, etc. Glad it went better this time. Recommended!

The Sandman - Volume 2: The Doll's House ~ I then moved on to Volume 2 in the series. This was the first time I ever read this particular volume and it went pretty well. The series is definitely on the darker side, but it is becoming a page turning type of series. A series that follows the Sandman around can't help but being intriguing because dreams are something we all share and the Sandman is just one of those things we have heard about before. I am glad I decided to finally add this series to my list of read series. Recommended!

The Sandman - Volume 3: Dream Country ~ This volume collects 4 short stories into one. The stories are all unrelated, but The Sandman, Morpheus, plays minor roles. I enjoyed the story about what cats dream about because I can totally see cats believing they are the top of the chain and wanting to be there again. It is a good story to fit cats personalities. The other stories caught my interest as well. This was a shorter volume and I read it rather quickly. Recommended!


Everafter - Volume 1: The Pandora Protocol ~ Fables! Fables! I love Fables! I was kind of putting reading this series off, but when I got Volume 2 this month... I decided it was time. I am happy every time they decide to do a spin-off series. This series takes place after the events in the main story-line and includes characters we have met before, but also some new ones. I enjoyed it! Recommended!



Everafter - Volume 2: The Unsentimental Education ~ When I went to read this, I looked up when Volume 3 was supposed to be out. No Volume 3. And, upon reading this, I would say that it was because the series got cancelled. This seemed a bit rushed and there are some story-lines that didn't get explained at all. It was still good, but it could have been better. I am all caught up on Fables now and that makes me sad. I hope there is something else set to come out, but this might be the end of a 9 year friendship! (I read my first volume of Fables in January of 2009.)





Watching


One of the reasons why my reading died last year was because I watched way more TV last year than I normally do. I need to find a happier medium this year, but I did start out the year with Gilmore Girls. I have definitely watched a lot of this before, but I am not sure if I saw every episode. I am finishing up the second season and having fun with it. This is a lead up to finally watch the reunion show. It will take me a bit of time to get to the end, but I am happy I randomly chose this show as my next project.


I am watching Gilmore Girls on my own, but with the guy I am attempting to catch-up in Once Upon a Time. I have seen the first season about 3 times now, and we are about to watch the second season for the second time. But, then we fizzle. It usually happens because I generally want to read instead of watch TV. So, we will see how it goes. We have been stalled on this show since earlier in the week. I want to get moving on it because The Crown is another show we watch together and I want to see the second season. 


For those of you that do not know, I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am very aware of Oak Island, but have never actually been on it. They allow tours in the summer now, so really must get around to that before they close the island again. I am sporadic with this show, but have been watching the most recent season. We watched the most recent episode this week and it was kind of a filler episode. I keep saying that if they find anything amazing, it will be on the news before the episode airs. They have definitely gone further than others, though, so I keep hoping they will figure out the mystery. It is something that has intrigued me since I was a little kid.


One of my favourite shows that I actually have watched as it aired over the years. It continues to be fun, but I don't think I like the newest season as much as some of the others. The wedding is getting fun, though, so the latest season is starting to get going.


I am not sure if I like this show, but I keep watching. It is not as funny as The Big Bang Theory, but it has potential. I just have never been a big fan of young main characters, but I am doing better than I used to. And, Sheldon's mom is so much like his mother in The Big Bang Theory. I know it is her daughter, but she is my favourite character.


I was starting to wonder where this show went. I hadn't seen an episode in a long time. It is a fun show, but nothing amazing. I enjoy watching it, though, and am curious where the show is going to go next.

New Additions

Sex Criminals - Volume 4: Fourgy (Christmas)
Giant Days - Volume 6 (Christmas)
Monstress - Volume 2: The Blood (Christmas)
Everafter - Volume 2: The Unsentimental Education (Read)
Lady Killer - Volume 2

Weekly Posts

None, but if I leave this off, I forget about it. 

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything! I'm determined to do better on all the things too. One day at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so happy to see a blog post from you! I think we've all had those years where our blogging or reading was non-existent. Just do what feels right and will be happy to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH Oak Island sounds good. I will need to check it out. LOVE Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I hope you can get back into the groove of things. It's so hard once the habit is broken, but I know you can do it. :D I'm glad you're trying. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying the bullet journal thing for the first time this year. We'll see how it goes . . . I hope you are able to get back into reading again this year, Kelly.

    I enjoy The Good Place more than I thought I would. I don't generally like sit-coms.

    I saw a trailer for Love, Simon the other day and thought it sounded awfully familiar (they just changed the title). I haven't read the book yet, but I do want to. I hope you are enjoying it!

    I hope you have a great week, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you around again. I didn't blog quite as much last year either. Trying not to feel too pressured into reviewing every book I read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super excited to see that you are back! You were missed! The Hate U Give is one of those books that I missed reading in 2017 that I would love to read this year. It looks like you are starting off your year with some great graphic novel reads! Enjoy and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! I say just take it one day at a time. No pressure from anyone at all.

    Holly and I were watching OUAT too. We got all the way to season six; we are about halfway in to it and just stopped watching it together. I would love to finish the season and see if we want to continue it. I do miss my daily Captain Hook fix. That man is FINE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I hit enter by mistake or what but I was working on a comment and it disappeared. I'm hoping to take a class on bullet journaling if my local bookstore offers it.

    I loved The Hate U Give on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the same as you. I have trouble keeping going with new habits and hobbies. My only "goal" for this year was to do one thing of self care and one of home care. It's the 8th and I've already started slacking. ;)
    Good luck with blogging though. You have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to see a post from you again!

    Finding a balance between TV and reading is an ongoing theme for me too. What I found really worked for me last year was to not binge watch things. I don't know if you do that, of course, but having Netflix I found I did that A LOT! So now I watch a show or two week, as I would if they came out on TV.

    A happy new year to you and a wonderful week also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! I had no idea that the mom on Young Sheldon is Laurie Metcalf's dot. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! After more than one year without blogging I've come to realize I missed it. Didn't make it a resolution to come back, though, but will start visiting favorite blogs, and commenting, to get into the mood again :)

    Going to start reading The Hate U Give in the upcoming weeks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! My goal for the year is to post once a week too, but I'm aiming for Thursdays. My weekends are unpredictable, and since I have to do some other writing on Wednesday nights anyway I figured it would be compatible. Fingers crossed! I'm a big advocate for notebooks and to do lists. I love my bullet journal and would be totally lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh sounds good I will check all of these books later Right now I am busy with My Girl by Jack Jordan. I got this book from here.
    http://aazae.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you're back! My numbers were really low for 2017, too. Lowest amount of books I've ever read. Life got in the way, in a good way, but I'm hoping to bump up my reading this year (and try not to watch too much tv). We watched both seasons of The Crown and loved it! I tried Victoria, but couldn't get interested, but maybe I'll try again. I'm watching Broadchurch right now (limiting myself to one episode a night) and it's one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I want to get back to The Big Bang Theory, which I thought was hilarious. It's been a while and I think I'm only on Season 3. And the Gilmore Girls. So many shows... :)

    I just started The Hate U Give last night. I couldn't put it down and stayed up far too late reading, which tells you how good it is because I always fall asleep reading. Not with this book. To quote Andi, "It's got me by the nose hairs!" ;)

    Hope you had a good week, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best of luck getting back into a blogging routine! It sounds like you've had a great start to your reading year :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.